From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:41:01 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] EFI 196 conversion issues (fuel pump)

The pumps are generally pushers, but no more than 3 feet on the suction
end appears to be just fine. If there is some head pressure (pump lower
than tank) you can put it a good deal further away, but I wouldn't go
more than 5-6 feet. No t a worry in your case, of course! You might want
to put a splash shield over the pump though. More to keep rocks and road
debris from hitting it than water. A flat piece of sheet metal screwed
into the bottom flat of the rail and over the pump, maybe bent up toward
the floor around it. You won't have to worry about starving the pump on
a hill. Since there is no sump for the pickup you can if there's not
more than 3-4 gallons of fuel in the tank. Just keep it at 1/8th tank or
more. I only had that problem once when running the stock 63 Classic
tank with pickup in the middle. Had less than 1/8th tank and parked on a
hill with the car sideways. Just enough to starve it! Had to push it to
a level to start, then got gas. Should have BEFORE stopping. NEVER had a
problem while driving though. My current tank has a dam in it, making
the lower front portion more or less a sump. Pickup is to the left side.
When the gauge reads empty I have about four gallons in it, which is
plenty to keep it from starving, but if I run it down to about three
gallons it will start to catch air on turns. So when it reads empty, I
fuel up! If you use a common pump you shouldn't have to worry about
keeping a spare. Just keep the original application and part number in
the car. Even some of the in-tank pumps can be used externally. The Jeep
XJ pump can (pre 96 only... 96+ has an in pump regulator that dumps fuel
back in the tank). You would have to get screw-in fittings for the
hoses. It will last a long time not in the tank. A common MPI pump is a
Ford external pump. I have the number, but it won't do you much good --
way too much pressure! I checked on those Holley pumps. I don't think
steady pressure would be a problem with a regulator, the bypass line on
that type system can be plumbed right back into the fuel line in front
of the pump output but before the regulator, forming a loop. That should
steady any pressure pulses. The big problem is the ones that put out 12
psi (15.5-17, actually) are $431.95. A standard Holley TBI pump that
puts out up to a steady 15 psi is $164.94. Still, I'd get a factory pump
if available so you don't need to keep a spare. -------- From: tom
jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [AMC-list] d@mned holley carb anyway