Re: [AMC-list] alignment settings

" From: Wayne E Lamothe <superglider@xxxxxxxx>
"
" Hopefully, by tomorrow evening I will have the major components of the
" front suspension on the 69 Ambo back together.  Once I have all that
" squared away then I will drop the engine and tranny back in.  The factory
" alignment settings are really for old bias ply tires and 5 inch rims.  I
" will be running 7 inch rims and radials so I would think the setting has
" to be a little different.  Any suggestions on what I should set the
" caster and camber at?  I would also think toe in should be close to the
" factory specs, eh?

toe in should probably be less than bias specs; radials track better.
camber should always be 0 unless you want funny wear.
if you have ps, set caster positive and high for more responsive
steering at speed.  if you don't have ps, lots of caster will take
gorilla arms.

camber [the right way] is good for cornering; it counters the tendency
of the tire to 'roll' sideways out of contact with the road.  caster
adds 'dynamic' camber when you turn the wheels.  it is possible to add
too much for modern low-profile radials, but you probably wouldn't
want that much and our old cars may not adjust that far anyway.

in that same vein, the largest tire you can fit on a rim will 'roll'
more and corner -worse- than the smallest tire that fits the same rim.
racers say fit the largest rims you can, then the smallest tires that
fit the rims.