Re: [AMC-List] Carburator Solinoid

Sly said:Hi All,

I just got my solenoid to start working on the Pacer.
I'ts a 77 w/a 258
w/BBD.  I thought the solenoid was for kicking up the
idle when the A/C
compressor kicks in.  I thought it was supposed to
shut off when the A/c
was off.  Mine is on all the time now.

I had my idle set nice and low (where I think it is
supposed to be), but
when my A/c kicks in, it struggles to run.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Sly

Sly,

It sounds like your solenoid is a throttle stop
solenoid.  It stays energized (extended) all the time
while the ignition is on and then when you turn off
the ignition it retracts, allowing the throttle plates
on your carb to completely close, preventing run-on.
I'm sitting here at work with no AMC references but I
think you adjust the warm engine idle by manually
turning the solenoid shaft in or out, while it is in
contact with the tab on the throttle linkage.  The
cold idle is adjusted by putting the throttle on the
second step of the choke linkage and bending the
linkage as necessary to achieve the proper rpm.

If your solenoid is designed to be an A/C solenoid it
will only be energized when the A/C is on (power
supplied to the compressor clutch).  The warm idle
without A/C would be adjusted by the idle screw on the
throttle linkage (while the car is in drive with an
auto tranny).   To adjust the idle with the A/C on,
the solenoid shaft would need to be turned in or out.

Folks correct me if I'm sooooo wrong here.

Joe Fulton
watching the clock
Salinas, CA