[AMC-List] Front coil springs - factory AMC book found....

[AMC-List] Front coil springs - factory AMC book found....

 I went to the Spring Carlisle, PA auto flea last
weekend, and while a miserable day, I did find some
gems, including a '74 AMC Coil Spring replacement
guide.
 Inside are glossy-surfaced pages for marking with a
grease pen, you select your  coil spring by using
rolling radius ( measured from center bearing to flat
ground, which takes into account the flattened tire
profile, so your air pressure must be set to factory
specs ) and options on the car. THere are 2 vertical
lines to either side with these specs, one with
rolling radius, the other with engine size and options
on car and right or left side coil. There are also 2
center lines, with handling package and standard
springs. YOu run a line between the rolling radius,
and your left and right side markings, and where the
lines cross the spring lines in the center, you chose
your particular spring part number that way. So tire
size and options affect the choices.
 I didn't realize how many different spring rates were
available ( Ambassador 4-door sedan had 13 standard, 8
handling coil springs). The part numbers are listed on
the charts, so it's easy to pick out the one you need.
Pretty nice book.
 There are also rear leaf charts, and police handling
package charts. Another interesting thing was that
although I have heard the Matador Coupe wasn't usually
given the 401 option, and only a few ( four? ) ever
shipped with one, there are two Matador coupe spring
charts, and they list the 401 as an option on the
chart(s). Interesting.
 Pretty nice book to have for reference. Another thing
mentioned in figuring out the coil springs is the
front bumper height, as you had to make sure that it
was level from side to side to within a half inch, or
you'd need a stiffer spring on that side one rate
higher. The procedure was interesting, bounce the car
4-5 inches 5 times, then 2 inches 5 times, on a flat
surface, then measure each side underneath to the
5-mph bumper shock absorber. there was a bumper
adjustment procedure, too, to make sure it wasn't an
out-of-level bumper.
 Anyhow, considering how many of my AMCs ride low in
back, I don't think I'd go with stock, I'd go with
stiffer springs, at least leafs. Eventually they'll
settle down more, and I tend to carry more stuff
around, too. :) If anyone wants part numbers, I can
sent a list sometime ( my PC is dead, using my wife's
for now, intermittently ). Just getting online to
check mail. :) That's all I have on this subject,
can't wait for my new Dell next week. Bye-bye,
Emachines!

Jerry Casper
Virginia