[AMC-List] (no subject)

A: The first 999 was used in 1980 Cherokees with 4.2L. I had one in my '83 4 dr with 282 Mex motor and averaged 20 mpg hwy and 17 in town (with a tired BBD carb that I modded slightly) I'd like to do a 42RE (I have one already) to put in my '73 J4000 but everyone I have "chatted" with says they don't have the internal strength or the cast tubing for running a hydraulic valve body so I am going with a Jeep 727 (BTW, they are as strong as the hemi trannies, BUT the shift was softened too much and caused slippage) with lockup. Later on, I will be getting the lower first/second gearsets (same ratios as the 999) and with a slightly high stall lockup converter, running taller gears will be fine and it'll feel like I have O/D. I plan to use this in a tow truck, so making sure I have enough power as well as fuel economy is important.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] 85 Eagle 4x4
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" A: If you score a lockup version of the 727, the mileage drop
will be
" minimal on the hwy.

a good point, if most of your driving is highway.

" The '80 to '83 Cherokee also came with 999 as an option
" behind the 6 cyl (you can tell which is which by the pan
shape)

999 and not 998?  just wondering...  eagles all had 998s.
-afaik-
wranglers got the first 999s.  i'll admit they don't differ
much.

" The 32RE
" (and probablt 32RH as well) have weak lockup converters. I
have 3 in my pile
" of cores that suddenly quit making the Jeep/Eagle/Concord
move. Often just
" as they pulled to a stop. I stripped the trannies down and
there wasn't even
" more than a smudge of grit in the pans.

but the 32rh is just another name for tf999 and the 32re is just
the
electronic-controlled version of the 32rh, so presumably they
all use
the same front pump and can swap converters.

could be they gradually cheaped out on internals - '80s 727s
aren't as
beefy as the ones put behind '60s hemis, for example.
internet rambler                            is to see what all
have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none
thought