Re: [AMC-List] 1967 232 six thermostat housing stud broken in head

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Matt Haas wrote:

> It's screwed in. Note that 1964-67 uses a different thermostat housing than
> later models. I'm not sure if this is an auto parts store part anymore or
> not but I know Kennedy American sells cast iron replacements that don't
> suffer from this problem. Originals are made of aluminium (if you want an
> aluminum one, keep an eye out on eBay or put a want add in a club news
> letter). These were not always painted from the factory but I would paint a
> cast iron one to keep it from turning into a rusty lump on the front of
> your engine. When you replace the stud, be aware that there's a course side
> that screws into the block and a fine side that the nut goes onto. Also,
> the hardware on each stud should be a flat washer (goes against the
> housing), a lock washer, and then the nut.

It's one of a few places that likes to attract and retain water,
and then rust solid, even in well-maintained engines. I used to
use antiseize on those, but now I: (1) run a bottoming tap into
the hole to remove all crud (2) squirt brake cleaner into it
to get it spotlessly clean and dry wire brush, run a die down,
or replace the stud (4) use lots of non-hardening gasket cement
in the hole and on the stud. That will keep water out. Ask me
in 10 years how it's worked out :-)