Re: [AMC-List] Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep, Part II.5

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Nick Lenarz wrote:

> * General lack of power at idle and off-idle.
> * Flat spot in throttle right at 1000 RPM.

Assuming the choke is working now (ahem :-) before you go call
Comp Cams, make damn sure you have the basics set right.

Almost certainly all of your problems now are "tuneup" related.
Set ignition timing to dead-stock. Fine tune it later (one
thing at a time!!!)  but it should run FINE with 5btdc.

Once it's warmed up, whatever it takes, set the idle. This
assumes it's idling smoothly, if it's not, FIX IT.  It's in
the TSM but pretty much the same for every car ever made: at
idle speed, make idle mixture leaner (usually screw IN, but not
always -- RTFM) until the idle gets *slightly* rougher. Leave it
there, or back it out (rich) *slightly*, like 1/4 turn. That's
pretty damn close. It should be smooth.

IF IT IS NOT DO NOT PROCEED. Unless you have a really rough cam
if you car will not idle, you have problems that will affect
every other aspect of running. OK, it's technically possible
to have a plugged idle jet etc but in general, it's overall
tuneup problems. And in any case you need to fix it!

That alone might cure off-idle flatspot. If not --

Does the accellerator pump squirt right off idle? If not,
RTFM, adjust.