Re: [AMC-List] I finally got it or whatever

Re: [AMC-List] I finally got it or whatever

Tom,

Sorry for not quoting your subject correctly but I'm
on digest mode.  Didn't copy it correctly.

any Tom said:

Must be my lucky day. I figured I'd be at this all
winter.

I now have 32 degrees total advance -- with vacuum
disconnected
-- and no pinging under load.

I will later this weekend plot a graph of the
mechanical advance
curve, but I got it road-tuned pretty close today.

I'm now running 12 degrees static advance, 20 degrees
mechanical,
by fiddling springs got it to come in about 3200 rpm.
That did
the trick.

It begins to ping under heavy load when the coolant
temp gets
hot-normal, eg. curb idle right as the electric fans
come on,
around 200 degrees. Then it will ping. As soon as it
cools
down driving, doesn't ping. (My test strip is Route 2,
Glendale
Freeway north of Broadway etc, up to the foothills; 50
- 90 mph.)

It runs up to 4000 rpm without misfiring/popping
(which I think
was retard, before). It's hard to keep a heavy load on
the engine
above 4000 as I'm going too fast for urban highways.
(75mph in
2nd gear is about 4300.)

----------------
I haven't had be Gremlin with 258 2bbl out on the road
yet, but I'm thinking I will convert it to the GM HEI
ignition.  I have the distributor and Pertronix sells
a kit for it with high performance module and more
importantly with three sets of advance springs and
adjustable vacuum advance.  I'll keep you post and see
how your advance numbers work in my 258 when it gets
on the road, hopefully in a few weeks.

Regards,
Joe Fulton