Re: [AMC-List] FWD: wanted: man flywheel for 1967 J3000 232 six

Re: [AMC-List] FWD: wanted: man flywheel for 1967 J3000 232 six

The 196 used a small clutch... might be smaller than 9-1/8" though I
doubt it. The larger pattern in the 196 flywheel I had was around 10" to
10.5". It was a 62 flywheel, same year as the E-stick. E-Stick clutch
disks were bigger as they slipped a lot more. The E-stick worked in
reverse -- the lever put pressure on the clutch, it was spring loaded to
release. A hydraulic servo applied pressure, more pressure at speed.
This was done by using engine oil to supply hydraulic pressure -- bled
off the oil pump! The E-stick oil pump had 1/2" longer gears (and of
course body) for the extra volume demand too. A worn engine with an
E-stick isn't a good thing!! That's why you hardly ever see a surviving
E-stick car. They were either junked or converted to a standard clutch
(swapping bell and clutch linkage is all that was required).