Re: [AMC-List] 258 engine balance and flexplate

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Marty Bricker wrote:

> Is the 258 internally or externally balanced?  Thanks.

The AMC Six is internally balanced; the flex plate has no
weights unless it was mistakenly taken froma  V8 donor car
(in which case you simply knock offf the weights).

Even if unbalanced, with the mass of the torque converter
attached, I would be very skeptical if it could shake apart a
904/998/999 Torqueflite!  Dubious! Dubious!

The 904 family is a FINE, SOLID, RELIABLE, NO-BRAINER
transmission.  There's nothing weird or delicate about it.
They rebuild fine and run forever assuming you don't abuse
it, keep it cool and full of fluid. Should run for 150K+ per
rebuild, and just get leaky and maybe slippy with extreme old
age, not do anything stupid like break.

The most common assembly problem is not engaging all three
splined/slotted shafts in the torque converter, in which case
it will leak in short order. But that's an amateur's problem,
not a pro rebuilder issue.

Sounds like an incompetant rebuilder, unfortunately.