Re: [AMC-List] Another Re; E Stick, now Drivers

Re: [AMC-List] Another Re; E Stick, now Drivers

"Audi, Saturn and others in the last couple of years (now no longer
offered)."

I don't know about Saturn and the others (Nissan and Subaru among them),
but Audi still offers the CVT. In fact, they continue to offer it on the
larger, heavier new A6 with a 255 horsepower engine. Keep in mind, we
replace a lot of the transmissions under warranty, before 50k. The techs
joke that a 40k service on a FWD is replacing the plugs, filters, and
transmission. Luckily, the Quattros don't get that trans (where I am now
almost all the cars we sell are Quattros), and the TT and A3 have an
entirely different transmission, the DSG (direct shift gearbox). The DSG
is trick, a three shaft electronically controlled, hydraulically shifted
mechanical box with two clutches and no fluid coupling. The gears
alternate between two output shafts (both have a pinion gear engaged to
the ring gear) and the TCU pre-shifts into the next gear, and then
disengages one clutch and engages the other, almost simultaneously. It
shifts so fast and smooth, only the best drivers could compare, and
there's no hydraulic losses so the performance and efficiency are as
good or better than a stick. Really impressive.

"The Dutch Daf in the 60's"

One step up from a go cart. It actually had a belt drive.

Keleigh Hardie