Re: [AMC-List] 79 CJ7 Transmission ID ??

Re: [AMC-List] 79 CJ7 Transmission ID ??

" From: msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" []
"
" There is an unconfirmed belief that T-18's were not available from the factory behind 304's and were 6-cylinder transmissions only, but I have run into a few people that swear that they have owned their 304/T-18 CJ's ever since they rolled off the lot (but never provided me with the VIN).  A T-150 to T-18 swap can be done with 100% factory parts, which would make the vehicle appear that it had always been that way from the factory.  If he wants to know if it is the factory transmission, decoding the VIN will give him the answer.

the t-18 is a lot longer than the t150 so it takes a lot of factory
parts to make the swap.  advance adapters has a custom mainshaft and
t/c adapter for np435 4sp that makes the ford version a direct swap
for the t150.

an intriguing digression i've never heard fully decided either way is
that afaik the np435 is essentially a 4sp version of the 5sp np540
with a spacer where 2nd would be, thus explaining the bizarre shift
pattern.  this raises the question of whether the aa mainshaft would
also work in a np540...  i did discover that 540s were made with lots
of gear combos, and the one jeepers would want is a np540fl from a
ford f500.  they were used late '60s to early '80s at least, with 300
sixes and 360 v8s, and have the widest ratios: 7+:1 granny 1st, ~4:1
synchro 2nd...