Re: [AMC-List] 79 CJ7 Transmission ID ??

Re: [AMC-List] 79 CJ7 Transmission ID ??

" From: msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" A lot of factory parts?  How do you figure that?  Doesn't the CJ T-18 use the same crossmember and already has the correct input shaft?  The only things that pop into my head that you'd probably have to chase down are driveshafts and maybe the trans tunnel cover.  Are you thinking of a T-18 from a full-size Jeep?  In that case I would agree with you due to the long input shaft.

dunno if it shares crossmember; it'd be logical but amc didn't always
do the logical thing...  yes, afaik the late '70s cj t-18 has a ford
bolt pattern and input like the t150, but you do have to relocate the
crossmember and t/c as well as swap driveshafts because of the t-18's
greater length.  the aa np435 kit was engineered to be a straight
drop-in for the t150.

" As for the np540, its probably a good setup based on the gear ratios and its about 40lbs ligther than the Clarks, but I still don't think many Jeepers are going to go running after a manual trans that weighs 160lbs by itself.

doesn't the t-18 weigh in this range?  and [silly me] i assumed that
if the 435 and 540 were variations on a theme they'd have similar
weights.  surely the np435 kit would never have gotten off the ground
if the tranny were outlandishly heavy?

" I can see it as more justifiable in a full-size Jeep, but if you're going to have the extra length on hand anyway, I think most people that have the real estate in their rig may opt for more modern, synchronized hardware with a bigger aftermarket like the NV4500.

but the whole point of the aa kit, and my question of usability in the
np540, was that it takes no more room than the t150 - a drop-in
upgrade for the cj.

" The other issue is transfer case compatibility.  Unless you're running a divorced transfer case, this could be a bigger headache than mating it to the engine.

again, the aa kit was engineered to be a drop-in.  the mainshaft has
dana 20 splines and the new extension case - t/c adapter has the dana
20 bolt pattern.

" And if you're building your rig for low-gear action, do you really intend for it to see enough highway that you need an OD?  YMMV...

but the 4 synchro gears add up to good on-road driving [comparable to
the close ratio t-18] and the extra-deep granny means good crawl with
axle gears that aren't quite so steep.

" I'm running 1-ton gear under my CJ-8 and the current drivetrain is a wide T-18 mated to a 1980 Scout Dana 300.  The wide T-19 would be nice, but I might consider one of the big 5-speeds if there was a decent transfercase to be used.  Its already going to be heavy with the V8 and D60/D70 + armor, winch, etc.  I'll just leave the little lady at home and then the trans would only "weigh" 50lbs.  Lol...

you're already more extreme than the aa np435 target market, i think.

how about a ford super duty nv271 tc?