Re: [Amc-list] '66-'69 Rambler American differences

Re: [Amc-list] '66-'69 Rambler American differences

As I've been writing this, it's starting to sound like a slam against
certain year cars but it's not my intention to do that. American's are
well designed and built cars but it's just that some years are better
able to cope with tons of torque. With that being said...

Actually, I would think you'd have a good chance of tearing up anything
earlier than a mid year 1968 body with the torque put out by a stock 390
without doing some structural work. I think I recall hearing that stock
343's were enough to cause cowl cracks (and maybe even cracked
windshield but I'm less sure about that) in the 67's (the cowl was
cracked in my 68 American when I got it and it just has a six). Also,
the cowl was changed for 1969 and it looks like the changes were to make
the panel more rigid.

The sub frame extenders Andrew mentions are part of a change that AMC
made in 1968 to meet a new federal crash worthiness standard (it had to
do with how far the steering column was allowed to move into the
passenger compartment in an accident). To meet this standard, the
American's got new floor pans, new fire wall, the front frame sills were
extended to tie into the rear sills, the inner fender panels between the
firewall and shock towers were changed, and there was some bracing added
in various places.

Speaking of bracing, SC/Ramblers have torque links from the factory.
There are braces that go inside the frame sills for them. If you are
going to put them on and what them to look and work properly, you'll
need to do some floor surgery to install them.

For the most part, the rear body tub (everything behind the firewall) is
the same from 64 - 69 with the exceptions of the changes I noted above
and the rear window openings. The rear tail pan does change over the
years but a later pan could be put on an earlier body since the quarters
and trunk pan are the same. 67 -69 use the same tail pan and I think the
other years are all one year only deals. For parts in front of the
firewall, there were lots, and lots of changes. Everything on a 1966 is
basically one year only (except the hood and bumper) and it's different
enough that there's some effort to put different year parts on it.

For more research, take a look at http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/17
and http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/18.

Matt

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Jeffrey.Bohler@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> "
> " Along with another car, I purchased the remains of a SC/Rambler almost 4
> " []
> " removed all the parts he could, cut up the body, and got rid of it.
> " []
> "
> " If I were to find a different hardtop shell to use as the basis, other than
> " the taillight panel on the '66, are there any other differences that would
> " need to be addressed or would make one of these years not usable?
>
> the grille and lower front valance are different too; the headlight
> doors are symmetrical and swappable r/l.
>
> the floor doesn't have the long front subframe extenders on '66s,
> maybe '67s too.
>
> since you're making a clone for driver fun, if you find a '66 - why
> not leave the '66 details?

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com