[Amc-list] (no subject)

Not sure what brand the previous owner of my Spirit put on, but they will be replaced with 15" tires soon (205/75/15s from a Jeep probably) I picked up some wheel spacers to put on the front so the Jeep rim mid drive offset matches the rear wheel drive offset of the car tires.

From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] Baby's got new shoes!
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I replaced the tires on my '65 American 330. Got Kumho P185 75 SR14
tires on it (with small whitewalls, natch!). Would have preferred US
made tires - but the Kumho's have a good rating, so...

Popped the car up on stands and brought the wheels in, 2 at a time.
Got the tires mounted and balanced by a friend that works at a
dealership (cool! got to see how the tire mounting machine and the
balancing machine works!). Didn't trust the old tires - that's why I
put it on stands and replaced 2 at a time.

Took the car out on the road for the first time! I've driven around
the subdivision, but this was the first time out on the road. Did just
fine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Brakes worked great. Got looks, smiles and
nods.

Drove to the gas station and gave it 10 gallons of gas and 4 ounces of
MMO. Not sure if the MMO will help, but I figure it's an old car and
it's kind of being broken in for a second time.

Went to lube the ball joints and was out of tasty grease! I figure
since I'm replacing the water pump (in a separate post), I'll hit the
ball joints as well.

Anyway - it sure was fun driving it. And it behaved at speeds up to
35. Haven't driven it faster yet (need to replace the harmonic
balancer - so not planning on driving it far or fast until then).