Re: [Amc-list] Zinc oils/roller engine/scraper

My remarks mixed in below:

-----------
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:50:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

---Davis:
 Around here we don't have accell oil available. Never heard of it. Myself, I would never use recycled oil in my engine that cost thousands to rebuild. If I save 40.00 per year on oil changes but have to rebuild sooner which is the better value? Where did you get that Dino oil doesn't break down? Must be like the unbreakable comb.
   Also it would be interesting to see the MSDS sheet on the recycled oil to see what they are putting back in for additives. Bet it is the same mount of zink as the other oils of today.

---Frank:
I don't recall where I read that dino oil really doesn't break down (unless of course you really "cook" it or something). I'll have to research that now! But recycled oil has to meet the same certification that all other motor oils meet. My understanding is that even recycled oil is mixed with "new" though. I'm not sure if the Accel brand or any that Warren makes is recycled, I was just speculating due to the low price. Might just be a smallish company that isn't charging us for all the big buck advertising, and only want to make a "fair" profit instead of all they can gouge us for. If that's true they deserve all the sales I can give them, but I've yet to find out. When I get an answer back on the zinc/phosphorous content I'll ask if it's recycled. As long as it's as good or better than any other oil (and if it has the high zinc/phos. in my book it's "better") I don't really care if it's recycled. I do see your point, but if it meet the same certifications...

The link I posted has the specs for other Warren oils, specifically MAG-1 diesel oils. All 1200 ppm zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorous or better. I suspect the SF Accel is the same 10W40 diesel oil, but have written to find out. The MSDS doesn't have a thing as to content of the oil, not in that detail anyway. MSDS sheets are on their site.

Wal-Mart and some stores like Dollar General and convenience stores carry Warren products. Truck stops may have the MAG-1 oils. Surely you guys have been invaded by Wally World by now!!??

---Davis
 Actually.. a "ball' of oil masses around the crank and weighs it down(drag). Cintrifical force keeps that "ball" of oil on the crank and not flung around as it needs to be. The scraper keeps the oil from balling up on the crank and flung where it should be and dripped into the pan for recirculation.This removes the drag of the oil on the crank and creates a small power gain.

---Frank
Thanks for that MUCH better explanation of what is actually happening! At least I knew it wasn't much power gain...

Davis---
   This is true.  (referring to some other filter having problems like Fram, and a lot of people still won't use Fram because they had more incidents than others)
 I have never heard any bad stories on K&N filters and I will stick with them.

Frank---
K&N makes oil filters? Didn't know that!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"