Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:15:32 -0400
From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Torqueing head - bar torque wrench okay?
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Thanks Nick. The engine is in the car. It's a 196 Cast Iron OHV. I'm
not sure what type of head gasket it has. The previous owner said the
engine had been rebuilt, but I'm starting to have doubts about some of
the work done (no valve cover gaskets, harmonic balancer missing some
washers if I go by the TSM, thermostat in upside down, exhaust
manifold cracked completely through the flange between #1 and #2
cylinders, old hoses, ...).
Anyway - the engine was seized from sitting. It's freed up now, and
runs. Compression was pretty good across the cylinders, and I'll
re-check after running it for a while). Last time the car was
regularly driven was in '96. Last time it was moved under it's own
power was maybe 4 to 5 years ago. Since it runs and drives now, I
figured I'd better torque the head. (well, it's been moved under it's
own power since I started working on it. It does fine around the
neighborhood and off to the gas station)
Not sure how to test the torque wrench for accuracy, unless I had a
friend come over with his own torque wrench, we'd both torque
something and compare.