From: Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 2, 2008 11:16:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] aluminum oil pans

Sounds Great.I see your points, I just prefer to not have to deal with the extra lines, extra adapter plate, and the extra expense... Lots of extras for somthing I have never had a problem with.
 Davis
Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Davis,

One of the main reason we use an external pickup is simple flow characteristics. Less bends, turns and restrictions in a line, the better (at least 5-6 internal and only 2-3 depending on how you enter the pump for external). Plus you have less of a rise to overcome with the external pick up than with an internal that goes up and through the block then down to the pump. The external lines only goes as high as the pump itself and the majority of the line is filled with oil already prior to start up. This equates to better flow, reduced dry start up and less stress on the pump. Also, I have seen internal pickups where the plastic spacer has come off and the pick up sucked the pan up to the bottom opening cutting off the oil. Not too typical but it can and does happen. Will also be a problem if you bottom out where as the external tube is fixed to the pan and will be less likely to have the same problem. This is not to say an internal pickup will
not work or not work well. It is also not to say there is a major problem with the original design just that in application where a larger capacity oil pan is needed, going directly to the pump verses through the block is better. Either way, I am designing the pan to have both options so those who like it one way or the other can choose what works best for them.

Nick

Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends