Re: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel

I would check the oil to make sure it's not flooded with gas from the re-manned pump (that will give you smoke as it thins the oil out) You may have a float level issue that's causing the stalling. I set timing by ear or with a vacuum gauge. Same with adjusting the carb.

From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Okay, I checked my timing and it is set to 8 degrees before top dead
center. Next up is carb adjustments. I have a Holley 1909 one barrel
carb. It has three screws for adjustment. Idle mixture is on the side
by the valve cover and down by the base. In is lean, out is rich,
right? It also has 2 screws on the other side, one is for idle stop,
the other is for fast idle.

So - fast idle - that's for startup, right? The idle stop, is that
where I set my idle speed? Which one do I want to hit to set idle to
500 RPM? Also, the car won't really idle at 500, I can slow it down to
650 or so, much lower than that and it stalls.

What would be a general procedure for adjusting the carb? I've tried
by ear, but my ear must be defective ;-)

Tools on hand: tach/dwell meter, timing light with adjustments for
advance and RPM, vacuum gauge. How do I do this right to make sure
it's not too rich, too lean, too fast, too slow, ...

Finally - after replacing the head and head gasket, my car stopped
smoking. I replaced the oil and oil filter, and did not have
condensation on the inside of the valve cover last check - also no
foamy stuff. I installed a rebuilt fuel pump, and a new section of
rubber fuel hose. Now the car is smoking like a train. Do rebuilt fuel
pumps have oil in them to keep them from rusting? Could that be it? Or
do I have to start checking other things? The smoke is light in color,
but has a little blue. It does not go away as the car warms up - but I
haven't driven it very far since replacing the pump. The smoke is not
black, and it is not as white as before I had the head rebuilt.

Anyway - I'd like to set the carb right and see if that clears it up.