Re: [Amc-list] Anyone Around Charlottesville VA know anything about96Dod

Re: [Amc-list] Anyone Around Charlottesville VA know anything about96Dodge Truck with 3.9 V6?

Greetings~
Thank you all for your invaluable inputs into this thread..
The ECM/PCM currently in this vehicle (ie, the one I got with the truck) has
this number on it:  P/N P5604 0960  (It is 'broken' into this: 56040 960).
Suddenly I now wonder if by some chance somewhere along this truck's 'road'
this part was changed.
This leaves me with a number of questions:
1-what application is P5604 0960 for?
2-What P/N SHOULD this 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 ton 3.9CID V-6 with A/T take?
3-why do I 'feel' other questions as well, but haven't yet 'ideated' them?
Seems to me that in two owners, manifold opportunities arise to really 'Cob
it up'...(first was State Of New Jersey as a member of that state's 35,000
vehicle fleet which is 'self maintained' and whose 'maintain it as cheap as
you can' department has been known to, err, well, GUESS solutions whilst the
second owner was a known 'parts flipper'.  The vehicle had a bad A/T when
purchased from the State of NJ and it was replaced with one from a Ram1500
VAN (oh, fear not--"the transmission is EXACTLY the same as that in the
truck"...or so 'they' were told.)  Raises a question in my mind.  Did that
same thing occur if they needed an ECU??  I have no way to check.

So...does anyone know:
Which ECM this vehicle should have been born with (and thus ought still
have)?
What does that one I have fit (this truck or 'that' truck or what??)

I have a second ECM/PCM which I bought on the off the wall chance it 'might'
work well enough to test the 'bad ECM' theory which I know came from a 96 V8
3/4 ton automatic (or was that a stick?  I don't remember now).  I have it's
number...anyone interested in a real deal on an ECM/PCM??  I'll supply the
number when I find it.  It was a replacement to the truck from which I got
it and is marked 'remanufactured'; it includes the date of install, it's
miles, etc.  Clearly it was operable since the truck was shortened by crash,
therefore the truck was running.

Thanks as always Gang!

Jj