[Amc-list] scavenging in a stock exhaust system?

[Amc-list] scavenging in a stock exhaust system?

OK, the exhaust in my American is pretty much 100% iron oxide now, so it
get's a new poop chute next month.

Though it's a typical 3-into-1 iron manifold (two cyls per exhaust port)
it seems less restrictive and less angular than the later six (OK the
exh ports in the head run nearly 90 degrees...)

Question: is there any likely scavenging benefit possible from running
something like 48" of skinny pipe (like 1.75") down from the manifold,
then dump into larger 2" - 2.25") from muffler to tailpipe? Keep in mind
this is a small engine that spends most of it's time 2000 - 2800 rpm
(hence the 48" number).

Or should I just run "as large as I can get" (say 2.25") from end to end
with a good muffler? I'll mailorder one from Summit or somewhere.