[Amc-list] (no subject)

I've had excellent luck with Seal-All glue. (used to be available at every 7-11 and gas station, but I guess kids were sniffing it so it got pulled) I ran over a concrete footing (with rebar sticking out) that some ^@%#$&* threw off the overpass onto the Trans Canada hwy in Clearbrook, BC. (this was in my '66 Fairlane) Punched a hole as big around as my finger. I sealed it with the glue and an old window knob. 5 years later I sold the car with it still in there.

From: Frank Swygert
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Classic gas tank leak
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Real bummer Mike!
1. If hte tank has been leaking that bad the 'glass might peel off. You'll have to see if a corner will come up and try it. Otherwise you're stuck with grinding.

2. No repops. Best bet is to search the internet and find a similar shaped tank. Expect to cut a new filler hole and seal over an old one. That's not a problem on a new, never used tank. No gas vapor to worry about exploding! Most epoxy will not hold up exposed to gasoline, I've discovered (the hard way). You can use the epoxy putty bars made specifically for gas tank leaks to seal around the new opening and over the old one though. A lot of rod shops use the early Mustang 16 gallon tank (I think it's 16...) as a universal replacement. You don't have to cut the trunk floor out, you can suspend the tank underneath the car like the stock one. It's used because it's readily available and small enough to fit most cars. I've seen one in a 64-65 American with the floor cut out and the tank set in. If you have a rusty trunk floor that's a good idea! Any tank will require some modifications to fit. I think a Dodge Diplomat tank might be close -- http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?ta
 rget=products&product_id=861
Measure yours to find out how close.

3. No used one here! If you do get a used one, make sure you get it thoroughly cleaned and sealed. Eastwood and Hirsch Auto both have good sealers, but the tank must be cleaned thoroughly first.

4. See #2. I ended up making my own gas tank, but that was for a 63 wagon. You don't want to know what I'd charge to make another!