From: <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Strokers" <strokers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "AMC-DelMarVA: yahoogroups.com"
<AMC-DelMarVA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "AMC List" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:57 PM
Subject: [Amc-list] New toy!

> Just closed the deal on a piston pin removal and installer set from AMC :]
> Bought it and a whole bunch of odds and ends of AMc and Renault shop tools
for $135 of a guy on Ebay.
> He had a bunch of other stuff listed and the buyer of that auction did not
want it all, they left the piston jig and tools behind. YAY!
>    Now, with any luck I can do my own pins.
>
>    I still need to find a good cheap electric hotplate and the right
solder and see if that will work.
> When we did training in the 80's we were taught to use solder, place the
small end of the rod on the hotplate and heat it till the solder melts, then
with the piston set in the fixture align it all up and push the pin home.
>    I got plenty of spare pistons and rods to practice on, just need to see
if the standard no lead solders that melt in the 400 dgree range are enough
or if I need to find a solder that melts at a higher temp. Every thing I
read says to not heat the rod past 612* so I got room to play with.

>    Anyone ever do pins this way?
> Yeah, I know I could pay a shop to do it, but for some twisted reason I
want to do this all by myself.

> On a side note anyone ever see the HP TV segment where the guy uses a
torch to heat sbc rods cherry read before pressing the pins in?  How long do
those rods hold up I wonder???  The eyeball method I found said only heat
till metal turns straw colored. Those rods were glowing. I wonder if a non
contact thermometer would be accurate enough? I wonder what one that goes to
600*s cost?