Re: [AMC-list] Renault Torino/ebay

Yes, some really GREAT photos! I routinely save photos of AMCs off e-bay when the seller take really good ones, along with the facts about the car -- some of which I have to correct on occasion. The engine if the infamous Kaiser OHC six first used in 63 Jeep trucks. It was only used through 65 in US Jeeps (except for military versions) due to mechanics not liking the then exotic engine. It got a bad reputation basically because the mechanics didn't like it, not due to any mechanical weaknesses -- no excess oil leaking or other problems. In 68 or 69 the Torino won its class at Nurburgring using the same basic engine, which proves the design was sound. IKA changed the block to seven main bearings around 73. One point to clarify: Though at first glance the Torino appears to be a restyled American, the body is in fact a 63-64 Classic coupe with American front and rear ends. The unit body is Classic too, complete with rear coil springs. I figured that out after I got my hands on some scans of a Torino service manual with measurements (metric, of course!) and a detailed drawing of the underside.
--------
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 01:52:51 +0000 (UTC)
From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Theres a Renault Torino on Ebay right now, I have no idea of who owns it or anything else. I just wanted to mention it as it appears to have some of the best all around pictures I have seen of one of these cars online! I love some of the details they added to these cars, some not so much. For those that don't know, it is based on the 65 American body and comes factory with an OHC six.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TORINO-RENAULT-AMC-COUPE-LOW-MILES-UNIQUE_W0QQitemZ140317358709

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts