Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 15:57:23 -0400
From: "Thomas, Jeff" <jeff.thomas@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Last 401
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim,
High compression should be associated with the heads. The '71 heads are
generally broken down by "early" which is Sept 70 to about January 71
based on a casting number stamped into the heads. These high compression
heads should be stamped 3196291. I think they were 11.5:1 compression.
These heads are a holdover from the 1970 390 block heads so they were
made for 2 model years (70 and 71).

In late January or early February 1971, the heads were downgraded to
10.5:1 compression and have a casting number of 3212993. These are also
pretty good heads from a compression standpoint. I think they were only
made in 1971. By 1972 the heads had been downgraded again to 9.5:1
compression. These heads should be stamped 3213948. On my 71 Jav AMX I
run 3216090 which are the '73 and '74 401 block heads. These are reduced
again in compression to 8.5:1. Plenty of meat for around town driving
and turnpike cruising on the weekends.

PS: Do you still have the beautiful white 71 Javelin SST ? I have 2
articles on your car from years ago. Nice ...

Jeffrey Thomas
ORL FL