[AMC-list] Fwd: Easy Met Engine Mods

Nate's vintage rally-prepped Metropolitan...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nate
Subject: Re: Easy Met Engine Mods

O-Key then !

A _lot_ of people ask me about the engines in my two Mets as they're rather
peppy .
(BTW : know the difference between a ' Motor '  and an ' Engine ' ? a Motor
is tethered , like an APU or welder , Ag. Pump , powerplant etc. ~ useless
trivia I know)

O.K., my red 1959 Fixed Head Coupe (" FHC") retains it's original " high
compression " (7.6:1 CR , dished pistons) engine and camshaft . the cylinder
head is an MGA 1622 C.C. one massaged by Peter Burgess of Jolley Olde
Englande , it's his basic " Econotune " head , polished exhaust ports ,
unshrouded valve guides , smoothed up valves with three angle grind ,
combustion chambers have been matched then polished smooth for better flow
and swirl , this improves the flame front popogation . There's a bit more
done to this excellent cylinder head but it escapes me at the moment .just
basic , careful blueprinting , easily done if you have time or money , the
trick is finding an honest racing Machine Shop  that won't assume you won't
know if they don't do all this stuff but charge you anyways . IMO , it was
$1,800.00 well spent . your I-6 AMC engine would benefit greatly from this
typ of work  , leaving everything else bone stock . plus , better fuel
economy ! .

As I have the engine apartright now , it's getting a set of new Hepolite
8.3-1 CR pistons , they have dished tops too , after I ordered them I found
a source for 8.3-1 CR pistons with flat tops , those would have been better
, oh well .

I mounted a Weber 36ICT carby , this is the Lancia carby that was very
popular as a replacement carby on most European 1200 ~ 1800 CC engines
during the 1970's & 1980's , it is now out of production but they're here &
there if one looks , there is no shortage of used ones as the Hot Rod VW
guys used them a lot .

 It runs a stock Lucas 25D distributor with  points and a German 3.0 Ohm
Bosch Blue Coil , another common hop up part from the old dayze . this coil
is still available but not from Germany .

Any breaker point ignition that has 12 VDC at the hot side of the coil will
greatly benefit from the addition of a better quality 3.0 OHM Epoxy filled
coil , Accell makes dandy ones but they FUGLY yellow , that's easy to fix :
peel off the sticker then wipe the glue off with Ether (starting fluid) ,
invert the coil into the cap of a Foo-Foo can of good quality gloss black
Epoxy paint and spray paint it , the cap will cover the top of the coil from
overspray , allow to dry and add your favorite Lucas , Delco  or whatever
OEM sticker and slap that baby on , open the plugs to .040" and FEEL the
increased power ! .

The engine is coupled to a three speed automatic transmission from a 1980
Datsun B-210 , this most excellent tranny is none other than the venerable
Borg Warner A-35 Slushbox , built under license and fitted to moist imported
cars W/ automatics between 1967 and 1992 .

It would have been better to use an automatic overdrive or lockup torque
converter tranny but David and Chuck  did the conversion before I bought the
car .it runs out of steam (RPMs) around 75 ~ 80 MPH , I don't like to run
the old tech , long stroke engine that fast .

Is this the info you wanted ? .

I have another one in my '60 DHC Met , much cheaper  and easier to build ,
still hauls ASS
and will easily break the rear axles if you snap the clutch .

-Nate
       *Tom * wrote:

What motor, exactly, did you stick in you Met? AMC-list people wanna know.