Re: [AMC-list] looking for a list or schedule of jobs to restore a car

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:05:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:dcshay@xxxxxxx

I own a 68 amx I completely disassembled the car down to the last screw. It is now is a shell It is media blasted ,primed and ready for light body work&  paint. What I need is a list of the order in which you put the car back together.
Is it paint first or engine or suspension or interior???  Any thing a book, dvd, article

Thanks, Steve
----------------------------

Steve, you should be able to go to one of the big book stores (try the local library first!) and find something like "How To Restore Cars"... or some make. Should be a general text available. Nothing AMC specific, but any will have what you're looking for even if it's for Mustangs or Corvettes.

In general, take a common sense approach. Russ started you off right.
1. - Primer the whole car, but make sure you keep it out of the weather. Primer DOES NOT prevent moisture from going through! If you have to store it outside put a single stage paint over the primer. A cheap white for light colors, maybe black if you will be painting a dark color. You could just paint the whole thing now and then sand and clear again when finished. A base coat with just a couple layers of clear would be fine if you're going to spray the clear again when done. Preferably wait to paint the exterior.
2. - Paint interior, under hood, inside trunk, underside of hood and trunk lid. I actually recommend a single stage paint for those areas, not a base/clear. It's just easier to work with, and those areas aren't exposed to the weather so the paint lasts as long.
3. - Now install the suspension so you can get wheels on it. You'll want to install the dash (just the metal, not gauges and such), steering column and steering box also. Now the thing is mobile!
4. - Brakes might be good at this point. Master cylinder, brake and fuel lines.
5. - I'd go with the wiring (including instruments) and all the under hood stuff that isn't attached to the engine. Easier to wire without the engine in the way. Don't install lights or grille, anything that will interfere with painting (even if you've painted the body and will just clear it again when done).
6. - Now install the engine, transmission, and driveshaft.
7. - Install the interior next, beginning with the carpet of course. Install the door glass also, but leave any body mounted glass out.
8. - NOW you're ready to paint the exterior, or sand and shoot another couple coats of clear.
9. - Install the glass now. You don't want to install it before painting so that the channels the glass sits in will get a top coat of paint, otherwise they may rust out as the seals get old. Just be careful masking off the interior.
10. - a final buff and cut should do the trick!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"