Re: [AMC-list] What if and What Was AMC engine specs

Re: [AMC-list] What if and What Was AMC engine specs

There were quite a few experimental AMC engines back in Romney's days. One was the air cooled V-4 that made it into the Mighty Mite air transportable mini Jeep. Another that came a bit later (early 70s) was a weird Wankel rotary type engine that used valves instead of piston ports in an attempt to clean it up and make it more efficient. I've got an article somewhere that shows a few other engines, I think one was a flat six. Romney is on the front page with some engines in the background. Doesn't say a whole lot about the engines though.

I think AMC could have had a four (and/or compact V-6) ready by the mid 70s if Abernethy hadn't spent all the profits from the early 60s trying to make the cars more upscale so they could make more per car. They were certainly in the engineering department as prototypes. I can see not being overly concerned about the V-6, but a four should have been a no brainer. The main problems with Abernethy's marketing idea was that the main Rambler buyers (rather frugal sorts looking for bang for the buck) were alienated by the "classier" vehicles (only frugal one was the American) and that was (still is?) a crowded, highly competitive market segment. Poor old Abernethey gets blamed for everything, doesn't he?!!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"