Re: [AMC-list] AMC V8 Heat Riser (nissan altima thing)

Re: [AMC-list] AMC V8 Heat Riser (nissan altima thing)

On the Altima thing.....Jacob actually started the car not once, but twice. I believe one time the key fob thingie was in the two tiered console so was in car. Other time not in car. He can reach pedal and like everything aMC watched my every move as 8 year olds are prone to do. It freaked Paige out also as she was reading a book one time. The push button ignition seems to me at least a hacker's dream. There was a story on one of the local channels here in Houston about crooks driving around with TV remotes and garage door openers pointing them at houses to see if it opened so they might be able to burglarize it then or later. The reporters actually did this and opened some. I would guess the encryption might be different in what the car remotes use but like I used to hack into encrypted signals from pay par view sports games for several sports bars (hence the satellite god moniker) if you have right equipment it can be done. While now I am way off topic, it does not explain how Jacob started the car. Side note: we ate at Cracker Barrel and when came out, Noah was yakking and walked up and got in a maroon Buick.....it was in front of the Nissan Altima. Doors open, maybe a mid 90s car, I told him 'that is not our car' and he quickly jumped out so we still laughing about that. Didn't look to see if it was push button.

Side note #2. Skimmers. Anyone can get them they are cheap and theives plug them into ATMs or unscruplous waiters/waitresses will use one at their work and simply swipe your credit card when you pay.....not hard to find these, and seems stories about them pop up almost daily:

http://newportrichey.wtsp.com/news/crime/73464-waitress-rips-customers-credit-card-skimmer

huh. i'd actually try this -- will it start w/o someone actually sitting in drivers seat? with foot off brake? in/out of PARK? etc... w/software lots of
interlocks now possible. needs testing....

Andrew you can be assured that what Eddie assumes is not true for the most part. t he push button is a gimmick but nice, key HAS to be in front seat area. Want to be double sure. Take the battery out of the FOB, pull a key insert out. You are then clear back to Rambler days! use a key to unlock and insert that key into a backup slot then push button to start car. It's an override for when the battery dies in the FOB. I have to come out and say," WTF would that emergency release tab creep out a Texan? How many fried kids have died in trunks down there! The lack of the glow in the dark pull would creep me out!" Yeah the alarm goes off if the doors are opened when the doors are locked and opened through a rolled down window
On above I am telling you my personal experience from renting a new Hertz car recently. You don't have to believe it, but car had lots of quirks, neat car, but quirks. No, never saw a key though. Yes, would probably rent one again just to see what range is of the push button ignition or if it can be started with fob thing in....or out....of car. There are more kids that die in polls than locked in trunks down here however. And a few years ago, Houston led the nation in kids fried because they were left in cars. Not in trunks.....in cars. You would have to go a little further south to Ciudad Juarez where kidnappings are common though. What I really would like to know is how many 2011 cars 'don't' put this creepy option on a new model! I can see how it might be handy for kids in trunk...but that would be tiny number compared to how many people kidnapped. Maybe Nissan (others?) saw a opportunity there from news reports.

AMC note again. How many people could you fit into a Ambassador or Rebel trunk to sneak into drive inn movies? That Nissan fear factor trunk release thing would have come in really handy when we used to do that in mid 1970s....especially when Mondo was in trunk and had ate Frito Lay Bean Dip hour earlier....I would have gladly paid my way in as opposed to watching the trunk mat melt. Our record was 3 teenagers.
Eddie Stakes