Re: [AMC-list] 304 manual transmission circa 71 or 72

'71-'73 saw the option for 304 in FSJs but most chose the 360 instead. The early motors didn't have a crankshaft centering "ridge" around the pilot hole like '72 up did. They used the outer edge of the crank flange and a step in the back of the flywheel with a pilot bearing in the flywheel.
   If the motor had the TH400 with adapter ring, like my '73 J4000 did, then there is a crank spacer that needs to be removed to access the pilot hole.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 304 manual transmission circa 71 or 72
" From: markprice242
"
" If I can see thru the haze in my mind I believe B/W auto trans used a small pilot.
" Not much bigger than a bushing in a normal crank. That is for the sixes in the late 60's.
"
" Now the Buick/AMC/early Rambler/ Jeep engines had a larger hole and a bushing for the turbo 400.

and iirc for later amc/jeep, you remove that bushing for a mopar
converter.

" The question is what did they do with the 304? When did it get stuffed into Jeeps?

'73? almost as soon as they took jeep over.
Andrew Hay the genius nature
internet rambler is to see what all have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and think what none thought