[AMC-list] A great AMC day

During lunch today I stopped at the local Fleet/Farm store and bought a 3/4 x 4-1/2 inch grade 8 NF bolt and nut and a few washers.
I wasn't real confident that this was the answer.
I've been working again on rebuilding the AMC 20 axle from the white Javelin. I needed to rebuild the twin grip differential, acquired all the needed parts and pieces and the gear set at the begining of summer. Let it slide until now because I wanted to drive the car and not work on the car during show season. Saturday I fabricated an input yoke holding tool, as I understand I'll be torqueing the nut a couple times before the final set up. Used some 5/16 round stock, some 1/4 x 1-1/4 strap, a 17 inch piece of 3/4 pipe and a short piece of 1/2 inch OD steel tube.
Drilled some holes and welded everythig together. It turned out great.

Sunday I put the ring gear in the oven at about 250 degrees for an hour, and placed the carrier housing in the freezer. That worked splendid. The ring gear fell onto the carrrier and immediately shouldered against the edge exactly as it should. Previously I had cut the heads off of two bolts the size of the ring gear bolts and I used them for a guide to get the holes lined up correctly. So far so good. New ring gear bolts and please don't forget to torque them.

Monday it was off to a car show about 40 miles from home, it was a good show and met some more nice folks, one fella with an Avanti circa 64 with a real Stude engine in it, and Oliver with his 74 258 I6 Javelin. Oliver took the first place trophy in our class. Congrats Oliver.

I worked today, and thought about how to assemble that twin grip all day. It's a one piece carrier, from a Jeep. It's for 2.73 gears. Exactly what I want for highway (and high speed) cruising. I had struggled with it for a few hours on Sunday to no avail. I couldn't get the thing figured out. It's somewhat of a challenge to install those little spider gears and the clutch paks and get that shaft to fall into those bores just so. Don't forget the little bushings that go behind two of the spur gears. But that big bolt compressed that funny washer behind the clutch paks just enough to slide those gears in place. then a spare set of spiders clamped across with a C clamp depressed the clucht paks enough to slide in the little bushings. Don't forget the axle spacer. Then after getting the big bolt today, and messing around a couple times, on the second try, lo and behold, just when I was about to throw in the towel, head into the house and get a white russian drink to soothe my frustrations, the darn thing literally fell together. I wa sso elated, I put away all the tools, headed into the house, mixed up that white russian and sat down to tell you guys all about it.

AMC Ya !

Armand