Re: [AMC-list] 2nd gen turbo/1st gen swap

Re: [AMC-list] 2nd gen turbo/1st gen swap

" From: Jason Patrick <mrrumblur@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I'm toying with some ideas for my '65 Marlin. Does anyone know the
" easiest way to put a 401 in place of a 327? I'm not against
" sub-framing it for potential ease of swap, newer disc brakes and
" suspension, etc. V8 Spirit/AMX?

in '70-1 amc was still using iron warners, so a
flexplate/converter/housing exists to put that 401 onto your tranny.

you'll probably want to build that tranny, for 'police & taxi' or
'towing & rv' at least, and you also might want to learn about the
relationship between the iron warners and the ford fmx series.  that's
assuming you have an auto.

if you have a stick, the late-'60s - mid '70s v8 bell will hook you
up, either 3sp or 4sp.  you can't do much to strengthen the tranny
though; tex racing has good stuff for the t10 which you can't use b/c
of the long amc input shaft.  you could have a custom input made, at
probably considerable expense...

or convert to open driveline, fabricate a truck-arm-like setup that
locates the rear the way the torque tube does; then your tranny choice
really opens up.

newer disk brakes are a bolt-on away, thanks to the 2-pc amc
spindle/knuckle - you can put later amc disks on very easily, and dave
stohler found ford rotors and setup that adapted to the amc spindles.

newer suspensions are simpler - balljoints and/or mcpherson struts -
but they don't offer better geometry than what's already there.
you'll have to learn about trunnions to maintain it properly though.

the 327 was pretty big for its size, in '50s tradition; i don't think
the 401 is substantially bigger.

" Also, where can I find some good info on turbocharging a 401? Thanks!

can't help you there.