[AMC-list] Can anyone help this guy? - IKA Ambassador

[AMC-list] Can anyone help this guy? - IKA Ambassador

Hi -
I am a former AMO member - I owned a 1966 Ambassador convertible from 1975 to 1991. The car then became part of the Peter Hill collection, and I have remained a fan of this era of AMC cars. Recently I discovered a you tube video that included a 1973 clip of President Juan Domingo Per?n at his return to Argentina from Spain. I noticed that the Ambassador limousine that he was in is an exceptionally appealing vehicle. Is there any way that the provenance of this car can be traced? Does AMO have any information on who the coach fabricator is who produced the limo version of this car? Has a photo exhibit of this model ever been put together?

Any clue on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Blanes
Kelowna BC

Alan , I don't have your email address but I recognize your name from some where . Northern Ramblers maybe? So, Rich you may have to forward this to him.

The car in question is an IKA - Ambassador - Industrial Kaiser Argentina . Very appropriate that Juan Peron' is riding in the Ambassador limo type car. Juan P. cut a deal with Kaiser in 1955 to make the Kaiser Frazer car in Argentina , as Kaiser got pretty much run out of the US car market . That became Kaiser Jeep . The new Argentine company was Industrial Kaiser Argentina or IKA . The Kaiser car, in Argentina, was made from 1956 to 1962 and by then the tooling to make the car had completely worn out. They needed new tooling and cut a deal with AMC !

The 1966 American was a completely new car from the ground up , new tooling. The 1967 Classic or Rebel, etc./Ambassador was all new tooling from the ground up. The old tooling for the 1962 to 1965/66 cars all went to Argentina. You might be aware that a car based on the 1964/65 Rambler American tooling was made in Argentina by IKA. But also the basic 1965 Classic 4 door and 4 door wagon was made in Argentina along the 4 door 1966 type Ambassador . They all used the 230 OHC Kaiser six cylinder engine briefly used by Jeep in the US for a couple years. The American based car was made up 1980 model year in 1979. The Ambassador was used as a STATE car and the government insisted that in stay in production until some time in the mid 1970's , 1975 or so I believe. Oh and Renault also bought into IKA some where in the mid 60's I believe.

The other thing is these car were fairly low production. Only a little under a 100,000 of the American based car were made in about 15 years. Less for the bigger cars, none of them was cheap and in that regard all the interiors were less Rambler and more up market Cadillac. That is why the Ambassador looks a bit on the odd side. The Argentines did there own thing to the cars especially to the interiors, usually high end leather , etal. ,especially on the high end STATE cars like the Ambassador. Probably made especially for the government for the president of Argentina. I've got some factory literature on these cars. I don't think there are any of the IKA Ambassadors in the US. Nor do I think it likely to get one from Argentina unless one was at an Embassy for Argentina in the US , highly unlikely. There are about less then 6 of the American version of IKA-Torino American based cars in the US. They were very difficult to get out of Argentina and you just about have to have to be from Argentina going to live in the US to get one here. That's pretty much the story on the two owners I've meet of the IKA - Torino cars here. There is one in Los Vegas,NV , 1976 I believe and another in Phoenix, AZ a 1979 I believe. there is suppose to be another Torino in Phoenix with a 302 Ford in it , that was for sale and a forth car on the East coast that Pat Foster wrote an article on. I also think that an older issue of American Motoring had a small article on at least the Torino version of the American some time ago. Hope this answers your questions. LRDaum