 From: Jeff Reeves <amcnut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1

Chrysler crushed the Turbine cars because they didn't want to pay the taxes involved in importing them from Italy. These cars were designed and built by Pininfarina and were built specifically as a test bed for the turbine engine. They brought in the cars and loaned them to specially selected families to be used as test mules. After the testing phase was done, the cars were reclaimed from the test families and were destroyed as Chrysler didn't want to ante up to pay all the import duties on the cars---plus they didn't want to have to contend with the nascent emissions and safety laws that were starting to be placed on domestic manufacturers by the government. In their eyes destroying the turbine cars were a way for them to avoid liability---both fiscal and legal--plain and simple.

The turbine cars were automotive art. I hate that they destroyed the cars as they were absolutely beautiful and would have been worth doing driveline transplants with a more conventional 440 V8. I'm glad that the few examples that do still exist were saved as they are truly a high mark of automotive history.

Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
01 Grand Cherokee
72 Javelin SST