Re: [AMC-list] AMC Experimental Engines

Jack Dale asked about AMC experimental engines. Well, there were some. The info was pretty much considered proprietary in the 60s and not much info ever leaked out. The engines never got out of the engineering department. All the other manufacturers did the same thing -- they did a lot of development work that the public still doesn't know about. Only a few designs were leaked IF the company thought they could get some free publicity from it, or they were turned over to museums where they are displayed as curiosities (there's a few at the Henry Ford Museum). In some cases a few fell into private hands for some reason or other and got a bit of press. I've got a cover photo on an old Popular Mechanics (or Science, or Mechanicx Illustrated... something like that!) that has George Romney in front of several experimental engines. Hardly any info on them inside at all. There is a four cylinder and a flat six in the photo, IIRC. Maybe I need to dig that issue out...

The few experimental AMC engines I know about:

1. Air Cooled V-4. This isn't really experimental. It was used in the Mighty Mite Jeep built by AMC in the early 60s. The original MM design used a VW engine, but the US military wasn't interested in using a vehicle with a foreign engine. The company that designed the MM approached AMC about buying the air cooled V-4 that AMC was experimenting with. How they found out about it I haven't a clue! AMC bought the rights to the design and built several hundred for the Marines instead of selling the engine.

2. Aluminum Gen1 V-8. This wasn't a factory development, but I'll put it in here! ALCOA was trying to interest manufacturers in using aluminum for their engines. To demonstrate the weight savings they made AL copies of several blocks. They made some Ford and GM blocks also. At least a couple AMC 327s were made -- Larry Daum has one, or did. Complete ready to run engines, using stock AMC internals. I don't recall if the heads were aluminum or just the blocks. I'm not sure if this was done before AMC made the die-cast aluminum block 196 or not. The only cost savings at the time was in total vehicle weight and some machining costs since AL is cheaper to machine, so the manufacturers weren't interested. They would have had to change some of their foundry techniques and equipment (high cost) and AL at the time cost more than cast iron. Times change, many AL blocks now!!

3. Rotary. AMC spent over a million dollars for a license to produce a Wankel Rotary engine in the US. They partnered with Renault in the early 70s to develop a rotary design. They came up with a five chamber design with valves. This was covered in one of the Science/Mechanics magazines rather extensively... I have a copy of the article somewhere. Of course nothing ever came of this.

4. In the late 70s AMC was involved with a US government grant project to develop an external combustion Stirling engine. A Stirling powered Spirit got some good press. Again, nothing came of it.

The venerable six just didn't need much development. It was never intended as a performance engine, just a "people mover". It is one of the best at what it was designed for. The 4.0L was a natural and much needed development of it, but an OHC version would not have been practical. If AMC had stayed in production an OHC V-6 would make more sense -- something that could be used in modern cars as well as Jeeps. That's one reason Chrysler stopped 4.0L production -- too long and tall for modern vehicles, except the Wrangler and full size trucks. The other reason is the tooling to build it was starting to wear out, and they weren't going to make a big investment in an obsolete engine to continue production.

The same can be said of the AMC V-8s. They were no better than the Chrysler V-8s, or any other US made V-8, really. Chrysler did adapt the port design of the heads to their engines to create the Magnum engines though. The AMC heads were always superior to the other manufacturer's run-of-the-mill production heads -- closer to some of their special high performance heads and later model (90s+) production heads.

Take a look at the 4.7L Chrysler engine. It has been rumored (but not confirmed!) that the engine was on the drawing boards at AMC when Chrysler bought them out. AMC just didn't have the capital to put it into production, but it was supposedly planned for a future Grand Wagoneer replacement (the Grand Cherokee... eventually). The fact that it was used exclusively in the Jeep GC the first year it came out lends some weight to the rumor. Not only that, but there are some definite AMC design traits in it -- mainly the timing cover/oil pump configuration. there are also some Chrysler and I bet even MB traits in there -- I'm sure their engineers would have looked over any new design coming out of the company at the time.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine