www.planethoustonamx.com
  To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        A big yes to the mini starter as Bob said I have fought with one several times.Takes more beer and a couple of perks for pain . Finally got it in but not worth the effort. Jegs has a powermaster mini good for up to 18-1 compression I willl be installing on my 401 soon. Cost is under $240  And with the new pistons a stock starter is not getting the job done .I had a whole new driveshaft made by a race shop in WVA for $125 and it is larger than stock but no problems. Good luck !

          From: baddassgremlin@xxxxxxx <baddassgremlin@xxxxxxx>

          Yes, Bulltear makes a good mount kit for putting in a V8 on to the 6 crossmember, and yes Bulltear sometimes has customer support issues, mainly because he takes on more than he can handle sometimes, he's a great guy, and very Pro AMC, but like I said, he tackles too much sometimes and can't meet deadlines if you order something special. But if the engine mount kit is in stock, then you should be fine with ordering from him.
          Headers I would go with Heddman. A couple years back I ordered every available header made for any AMC application, just to see what one fit my Grem the best. I'm running a TF 727 and the heddmans fit the best, including clearance around the transmission, and overall quality was good.
          Yes, you'll need to get the yoke for the 727, as the 904 will not fit. Best bet is to get a driveshaft from about a 72/73 jav/amx that had the 727. this is a heavier duty shaft then what any of the small V-8/TF 904 set ups had, so it should hold up to the 401 power. Also, with that driveshaft, you'll have the proper yoke and a long enough driveshaft that you can have shortened to the correct length to meet the ford 9"
          As far as the rear end yoke situation, when I had my drive shaft shortened, the driveline shop had the proper yoke end that they welded on the back end of shaft that matched the 9" rear end u-joint size.
          Yes, you might want to consider going to the front springs out of a V-8 equipped grem or hornet, although I have a friend that kept his stock 6 cyl springs and it seems Ok?
          I'm not sure about the 6 cyl trans crossmember, as mine was a factory v-8 set up, but you could wait till you get it in and see how far off the mount is?
          Also, I think the fuel line coming from the tank is on the pass side for 6 cyl, and driver side for the factory V-8's, so you'll need to account for that.
          As far as the starter: Plan on going with a mini starter ($350)... I tried getting the stock starter in with the headers for many hours and finally gave up. I know it should fit, but I could not find the secret to getting it in. even with headers unbolted and engine loose so I could move things around, it was still not happening... Maybe another 10 beers might have helped?
          Hope this helps...
          Bob in MN

          schustercj asked:
          "I just bought a '74 Gremlin and I want to add a 401 / 727 to it. What do I need besides a v8 cross member? Do I need the v8 trans cross member? If I go with a Ford 9" rear end what do I do for the drive shaft? Are any of these parts available after market?"