Re: [AMC-list] Mileage with AMC/Jeep 4 Cyl 2.5 EFI or 4.0 in an 80's AMC

Re: [AMC-list] Mileage with AMC/Jeep 4 Cyl 2.5 EFI or 4.0 in an 80's AMC

" From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" My 74 Gremmy gets 30 Impg with 232 1bbl T-14 and 2.73:1 rear. That's about 25
" per US gal.

imp gal is 5 qt [right?]; us gal is 4 qt -- so 30/imp = 24/us.

" Quoting Dan Strohl <DStrohl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
"
" > I get about 25 MPG +/- 2 or 3 from the 4.6-liter stroker in my '79 AMX.
" > I'm still fiddling with the MAP sensor voltage, so there may be some
" > improvement there. Of course, I'm driving it more for smiles than
" > mileage, so I tend to be a little heavy with the right foot.
" >
" > dan
" >
" >
" > Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:31:47 -0700 (PDT)
" > From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
" >
" > That's good to know! ?I imagine the numbers in a Spirit might be even
" > better as they are a tad lighter and more aerodynamic. ?
" >
" > Then again, if a 4.0 could get 30, I wonder if an EFi'd 2.5 could get
" > closer to 36 or even 40? ?I know there is a point of diminishing returns
" > when a lack of power can translate into worse mileage for a smaller
" > engine, but as light as the Spirits are (and they can be made lighter)
" > It seems that like that would not be an issue. ?
" >
" > Either way, 30 is 50% better than he gets now! ?
" >
" > Have a great week,?
" >
" > Jesse
" >
" >
" > ________________________________
" >  From: wrambler242 <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
" >
" >
" > A properly setup 91-95 4.0L with a standard trans will get you knocking
" > on the 30mpg highway number in stock form.
" >
" > My American will get almost 29mpg with it's AMC T5, 3:31 axle and 60
" > series tires on all 4 corners. A narrower tire and keeping your rpm
" > around 2000-2200 at highway speeds should get you at 30 + -. Lugging the
" > engine down to lower rpms will probably cost you mpg as will getting to
" > far above this window. A narrow low rolling resistant tire likely get my
" > American there if traveling on level ground and not all the hills and
" > winding roads around here.
" >
" > Slam it to the ground! Lower is better :-) keeps the air out from under
" > it.