Re: [AMC-list] AMC value?

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:21:36 +0000
From:amcngmc@xxxxxxxxx

My father retired Sept-2012 from AM General, he also worked for Packard, Studebaker, and American Motors.

I am currently kicking around the idea of bring him in to help run things. Possibly start a new "division" just for the Independent brands?

He says I put to much into the AMC's I built said "if you would just kept it simple and profit would have been made" now I don't know as I fully understand what he ment maybe he knows something I don't.

This shop I'm running was once his hobby shop, I turned into a full time business about 10 years ago.

Thoughts on this move? Yay ? Nay ?

Sounds like a good move if you want to do more of the less popular cars, with a bonus of making dad feel useful. I appraise a few vehicles a year, mostly AMCs. POPULARITY drives prices and makes for quick flips. You must have a good 4x4 contingent in your area, that would explain why the SX/4 went fairly quick -- nice medium duty trail rig (I'm thinking old logging tracks and rough roads, not over any big rocks or through more than about a foot of mud) and comfortable too, compared to a Jeep. Plus it's a bit of a novelty. Heck, maybe you just got lucky and hit the right person at the right time.

What your dad means is just get the car presentable and reliable. Don't do a full drivetrain rebuild, just put in valve stem seals if it smokes a little but still has good power. Only do enough to make it run well. If a customer gets interested and has a minor complaint negotiate additional repairs as necessary in the sale price. Basically just "fix it up" and don't worry a whole lot about 100% originality. Ramblers are the "entry level" cars in the old car hobby. To do a proper resto costs a lot, but to make a nice cruiser doesn't have to. Period looking aftermarket seat covers from LeBarron-Bonney are fine, and anywhere from 25-50% of the cost of getting original material and repairing or having covers made, and they make the car look nice and be an inexpensive, fun cruiser. Once someone falls in love with the car they can decide if they want to spend the extra money or enjoy it as is. Most opt for the later when they see they can't really get their money back from a 100% r
esto, but some will want to spend the dough simply because they like the car. In that case you're spending for your personal enjoyment and a later sale doesn't matter. That's where most of us are!

The AMXs are a bit of a quandry. They need to be right to bring big money, but a good looking reliable driver that you don't have a lot into should still sale and make you a bit of profit, but not like a Mustang or Camaro. Mainly because as you noted, parts are out there but more expensive due to lower demand/volume. The AMC vendors get 100 repop parts made and take 3-5 years to sell out, the Mustang guys get 1000 and sell out in six months to a year.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine