Re: [AMC-list] 56 Chris Craft w/327 AMC Power

Re: [AMC-list] 56 Chris Craft w/327 AMC Power

Gray Marine converted AMC V-8s for marine use from around 1956-67. Gray Marine was owned by Continental Engines from June 1944 until Continental closed them in 1967. As far as I know the only V-8s they converted were from AMC, as Continental didn't make a V-8 of their own. A lot of Continental four and six cylinder engines were converted, of course! Before Continental bought Gray they converted Studebaker sixes and some Hercules fours and sixes (from about 1924-44). They supposedly used some Pontiac engines, and they marinized the GMC 6-71 diesel for use in WWII landing craft (the larger ones, not the little ones -- many of those used Crosley four cylinders).

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine