Re: [AMC-list] front disc brakes on 63 Ambassador

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:53:53 -0500
From: "L.D. Lyons"<ldlyons@xxxxxxxxxxx>

working on my 63 Ambassador 880 and would like to put disk brakes on it. I bought Tom Jennings 63 Classic wagon 3 years ago and it has disc brakes on it. My question is do anybody know if Tom?s website is still active and what the URL is. There was some information on the website I could use.

Tom's new website address (has all the old stuff on it):
http://www.worldpowersystems.com/AMC/index.html

Glad Mark pointed that out in a previous post! This is a great website with all kinds of Rambler info (and some useful for newer AMCs) -- everyone should have it bookmarked!!

Tom used disc brakes from another AMC -- I think 79-81 Concord/Spirit. Any AMC front dis brake system will fit, you just need everything from the spindle out. you may have to switch the brakes from front to back (just change the caliper mounts from right to left) for clearance -- it doesn't matter which way they are mounted as long as the bleeder on the calipers is "up". The 79-83 rotors are the same, and those are the years to look for. Earlier discs work but rotors are expensive ($100+ each). The 79-83 rotors are going up and getting harder to find now. All us Rambler guys in the know recommend the Scarebird kit (www.scarebird.com). Just get the AMC kit. It's listed for Rebel and Javelin, but will fit all AMCs (even Nash back to 1952). The current kit uses a Toyota Previa rotor which is inexpensive. The Previa isn't sold in the Us any more, but the rotors are cheap enough to pick up and extra set or two and store -- you would be good for 60+ years of driving, unless you sti
ll put over 10K miles a year (I conservatively estimate 60K for the rotors, assuming no brake faults). Easy enough to install -- search "scarebird brakes" and you will see a couple threads. They made two other types of caliper mounts before the current one with the Previa rotor (uses drum hubs or cut down rotors -- worn out rotor is cut off). Scarebird will sell you a set of cut down rotor hubs if you don't want to take the drums off your existing drum brakes and can't find old rotors.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine