Re: [AMC-list] AMC-Disc brakes?

Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 19:05:10 +0000
From:amcngmc@xxxxxxxxx

So then a Wilwood or who ever's 4piston system will bolt right on and '69 AMC pad's will fit them? I have a Comanche, I have seen how well those brakes stop from 65mph...Ya I wouldn't run them on an AMX or Javelin.

The complete Wilwood etc. kit will bolt up, and you have to use Wilwood or whatever pads the kit maker recommends. Pads aren't a problem, the kit makers use a standard pad size for all their kits, there is no AMC specific pad. Even if they stop making the AMC kits the calipers, rotors and pads are the same as all their other kits. The hub is different, but the rotor bolts to the hub so ONLY the hub is unique to a make.

The single piston calipers as used on the Comanche are great, they work MUCH better on a car. For starters the truck has no real weight in the rear so the front brakes do a whole lot more work -- unless of course it's loaded, then you have the weight of the load to deal with too. A car has much better weight balance. The Comanche has a brake bias valve in the back that increases pressure to the rear brakes as the bed goes down with weight. With no load the rear brakes hardly work at all. Those same brakes will haul a lighter (than the Comanche) AMX or Javelin down from speed as good as the stock brakes on any standard passenger car -- some hi-po models of course have better than average brakes.

I prefer the Aerospace Components setup for performance over the Wilwood. Should be no real performance difference, but Aerospace has been supporting AMC for a lot longer and we have a forum member who is a dealer -- can't recall who though. The Aerospace setup is usually $100 or so cheaper than Wilwood also.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine