Re: [AMC-list] Help Iding 6 cyl engine

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:06:37 -0400
From: "Rocky"<lear31@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey everyone. What would the stock 6 cyl. be in a 67 Ramber american? Would there be any way to get that to fit a 72 jeep with the stick trans by swapping to the earlier bellhousing?

You would need a 65-71 Jeep FSJ (Wagoneer/pickup) six cylinder bell housing. The bell bolt pattern changed for the AMC six in 1972 to the larger diameter V-8 bell. So to put a pre 72 engine in you need a pre 72 bell. Others have already pointed out that the Jeep trannys are a bit different than the car trannys even when they are the same basic model (T-14, etc.), so you would need the Jeep bell. IIRC the Jeep T-14 uses a deeper bell like the V-8 cars did -- about 8" vs. about 6" for the sixes. I'm pretty sure that was so the Jeep T-15 used in V-8s would fit the same bell.

72+ sixes are pretty plentiful and usually cheap. Talk to the local 4x4 boys -- I bet someone has a 258 sitting around that was pulled from a Jeep for a V-8 conversion. Most of the time those things get taken to the scrap yard or sit behind the shop until they are.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine