To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2014 3:47 PM
Subject: [AMC-list] Pumping Up Oil Before Starting a Stored Engine

Begin Quote:

/
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:52:05 -0700
From: Chuck Noll//<cnoll99@xxxxxxx>//
To://amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx//
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Engine prep before startup
Message-ID://<BLU437-SMTP89E47AF217132B090DF883A7AF0@xxxxxxx>//

On 10/11/14 12:02 PM,//amc-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx//  wrote:
/

/Re: [AMC-list] Engine prep before startup
/

/Thanks for the advise guys I will follow it. I also seem to recall that
you can remove the distributor and use a flat blade in a drill to spin
the oil pump to get oil into the engine without cranking it over. Am I
wrong about this? Is it a good idea or a bad one? First I have to
replace the wire harness before I can do anything. I have heard some say
that is fairly easy and others say it is not. We shall see.
Chuck/

End Quote

You're right about using a flat blade screwdriver to turn the oil pump before starting an engine that's been in storage, Chuck. I always try to do that with an engine that I've just assembled so it won't start dry, even though I have glurped it up with assembly lube. The problem with using a screwdriver is that it is difficult to keep it in the oil pump's slot and also to turn it fast enough. What I did with an AMC 360 V8 was to buy a junk distributor. Then I cut off the aluminum housing above the boss where it fits into the block. Then I turned down the top of the distributor shaft so I could chuck it into a 1/2 inch drill. (That does not need to be exact. Using a drill and a file or just a file will be OK.) Then I engaged the shaft into the oil pump and fit the distributor housing into the block. With the drill on low speed, I turned the oil pump until oil came out the tops of the push rods.