[AMC-list] Nylon Bushing?

Hello, Do you know if there is supposed to be a Nylon bushing in the end of the speedometer gauge to match up with the cable on a 64 Rambler American 440? I have a new cable and new Speedo Gauge but it doesn't seem to fit tight in the end of the gauge. The cable is fine and turns with the transmission, no kinks or hard bends.Lots of lube. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bruce.