[AMC-list] For sale: 1979 Spirit AMX (Project HMX)

[AMC-list] For sale: 1979 Spirit AMX (Project HMX)

For various personal reasons, I've decided to put Project HMX up for sale. Project HMX is a 1979 Spirit AMX I bought in 2004 and began to slowly (slooooooooooooowly) restomod with a 4.0L stroked to 4.6L, documented for the most part in the pages of Hemmings Muscle Machines, on the Hemmings Daily blog (https://www.hemmings.com/blog/category/our-rides/project-hmx/), and in the Muscle Car Interior Restoration book I wrote for CarTech (https://www.cartechbooks.com/muscle-car-interior-restoration-guide.html). I began this build largely to show a) that it's possible to build a high-performance six-cylinder engine in the face of overwhelming preference for V-8s, and b) how much performance can be had by mixing and matching stock parts, thus making it possible to source replacement parts from any parts store.

I'll start with the good. Solid sheetmetal, no rust-through. The 4.0L - out of a 1993 XJ - was professionally built by Lou Vignogna using the crankshaft from the AMX's 258. I added a later Grand Cherokee intake manifold, Ford Mustang injectors, a Grand Cherokee serpentine system, Dynomax header, and Borla muffler. While splicing the wiring harness, I added a manual override switch for the electric fan and a MAP voltage adjuster. T-4 four-speed (a World Class T-5 was always on my wishlist), and stock AMC rear axle. The entire chassis was torn apart, cleaned, blasted, and repainted before re-installation. While the suspension is all stock AMX, the front end sat high after the engine swap, so I did fabricate and install a pair of lowering plates to bring the front down 1-3/4 inches. All rubber brake lines have been replaced with braided stainless. There's still some blue on the B.F. Goodrich Radial T/As.

I did completely redo the black interior, minus the seats, which still have the original covers on them, and the original door panels. Carpet is new, as is the headliner. I also put Dynamat and Dynaliner on every conceivable interior surface. I haven't gotten around to installing it, but I do have an original AMC AM/FM/CB for it. Also, I scoured the Internet to find nice, unmolested, unmarred AMX dash panels. LEDs inside and out.

The bad. I've let the project sit in my garage for six years now, swearing I'd get back to it. The battery's dead, and it needs a clutch master cylinder (or at least a rebuild kit) to get back on the road. It still needs some final bodywork, a hood adjustment, and paint. The foams in the front seats could stand to be replaced. And I'm sure there's a hundred tiny button-up details I meant to get to with the car.

That said, it includes the flares, chin spoiler, all the trim, and probably more spares than it'll need, along with service manuals for the 1979 AMX and 1993 XJ. If it's AMC-related and in my garage, it comes with the car.

I wanted to offer this to the AMC List first, before advertising it both locally and on Hemmings. I've been told $4,500 is a good asking price, but I'm also open to offers. Not interested in trading. Car is located in Bennington, Vermont. Happy to send photos and answer any questions you might have (802-733-6559).

dan