Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Petronix

None of the electronic ignitions AMC used in the 70's was worth a damn
in my opinion. The Petronix in my son's Javelin was also crap. It now
has a Billet Malory duel point distributor and an MSD box. The car never
ran so good. I would not waste my time and money trying to repair any
AMC electronic ignition. Buy a points distributor and add an Acell Super
Coil and be done with it. Electronic ignitions are good for performance
cars and for cars that are driven a lot for low cost maintaince reasons.
Acell makes 2 sizes of Super Coil. One that looks like the stock one and
one real big one that I use and mount on the spring tower. I have had
this setup in my yellow car for 25 years and for 2 years in my orange
one. If you want electronic ignition put a petronix in a points
distributor. Speaking with people they are 50-50 on how good or bad the
Petronix is. I'll keep my points thank you.
"Doc"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM

--- Begin Message ---
You are all going to electronic ignition. If I can't find my problem I was thinking about going to points. I was going to ask Doc besides the distributor and a new coil do you know what else I would have to change over. I bought a new brain for mind, a new coil, and a new magnetic pickup. Is there anything else. I think I will put them on Saturday.
Terry

themixtoo@xxxxxxx wrote:
Summit Racing and Jegs sells them. It is a conversion kit to electonic ignition you only have one extra wire to hook up and you just remove the points and condenser inside your stock distributor and their kit bolts to the same advance plate that the pts/cond came from. When this kit is installed, it takes a sharp eye to see that its no longer 'stock'. I have this kit installed on my Mallory dual point dist. in my other Gremmie and have never had a problem.  Gary