[AMC-List] eBay bidding

All-It seems to me that the way to secure your bid on eBay goes like this.
You see a thing. You want that thing. Call it a muffler bearing for a 1937
Henway, and they don't make those muffler bearings anymore. So, you want to
pay $5. You bid $5 and set your max at $1,000,000. Now, you'll never have to
pay more than the $5, and if someone else wants it just as bad, they'll have
to pay $1,000,001. But you won't have to pay it, unless you again raise your
max, which might not be higher than the other person's max, who sets it at
$1,000,000,000. Playing the same game. The vicious-circle is in place, and
seems like the whole auction concept is defeated. Or am I missing something?
- Mike   And BTW, go ahead ask What's a Henway if you want.