Re: [AMC-List] E85 and Old Cars

The corrosion is not a result of the ethanol. Rather it is already in existance in the system and the ethanol is an excellent solvent, it cleans away the varnishes and exposes the corrosion, end result is a leak that would have developed at some time, but made it's appearance due to the introduction of ethanol. People then blamed the water in the ethanol. Not true at all, You will need to keep a bunch of fuel filters on hand and should replace all old system gaskets and hoses as the originals aren't the best for ethanol. Anything made since the introduction of  10% blend should be fine. all new gaskets and hoses are designed for the ethanol. Keep some fuel filters on hand and watch for leaks! The ethanol will clean things out and plug filters for a few miles.

You may have to richen up the mixture some with E85 to get an optimum mix, but it should run fine as-is, that's why they left the 15% gasoline in it.  E100 requires rejetting carbs and idle mixtures. Lots of info available online, look around. I've done some reading as I plan on using E85 in the Convertible when/if I get to the drivetrain stage.

Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net
Morgantown, WV