Re: [AMC-List] 6 cylinder harmonic balancer

Re: [AMC-List] 6 cylinder harmonic balancer

Jay
SNIP
I see a bunch of V8 harmonic balancers for sale on ebay, but almost
never
see one for  a 232 or 258 engine.  They don't give trouble?  I guerss
they
can be rebuilt? -Jay in FL.
SNIP
The harmonic balancers for I-6 engines are not usually stressed into a
failure mode so there is not a lot of need for one.
But if they are damaged, the AMC I-6 engine families (258, 232 and 199)
are internally balanced so that a harmonic balancer can be swapped from
one to another with no problems. The V8 engine families are external
balanced which means that the harmonic balancer is part of the balancing
assembly for the given displacement of the engine and can not be swapped
(for the most part) to another engine with out rebalancing it for the
new size. Also the mounting holes for various pulleys very, it is 3 or 4
holes so depending on the year they are unique again for the engine. In
addition V8 engines have been used for "race" motors and if the rubber
is bad high rpm can damage them thus creating a need for them.
Both the I6 and V8 harmonic balancers can be rebuilt and there are a
number of companies that do just that.
John.