Re: [AMC-List] wheel stud spins - front drum

Re: [AMC-List] wheel stud spins - front drum

> I measured one I'm replacing and there is a .035 or so off-center issue with
> it which was causing the brakes to grab the drum as it went around.  I'm
> betting that they were both turned incorrectly as the surface is nice and
> smooth and round, and they both would grab.

Since the drum is turned off-center, mounting them on different hubs
won't solve the problem.

> So I want to swap my front hubs, to the "new" drums, so I drove out the
> studs till the hub and drum separated.  Then I put the hub in the new drum
> and drove the studs back in.

You must buy new studs; NAPA stocks them, and they're cheap. Replacement
studs have serrations (knurls) that make a force-fit; factory studs were
swaged on top, holding drum to hub.

> Second, the drum does not want to stay with the hub anymore.

Assuming that the hub is good, it will do no harm if the drum is not
swaged tightly to the hub, unless you plan on driving with the wheels
removed :-) -- the wheel and lugnut will hold the drum to the hub, just
as it does on rears. (Rears have 2 or 3 small screws that retain the
drum to the hub, but it's just convenience, it doesn't do any serious
locating.)